Friday, February 12, 2016

Think like a Proton & stay positive!

Today was the start of field work at Bishop Dunn elementary school. For the next few weeks classmates and myself will have the opportunity to host a lesson on a particular Science topic to a group of 3rd graders. On February 9th, The first group had their turn at teaching a lesson. Their lesson was concentrated on the properties of matter. Watching the group teach definitely made me more nervous about my turn next week. I did not feel comfortable judging my classmates so harshly. Who am I to judge them? In addition, I felt uncomfortable for them as they were put on the spot at the end of class being bashed by the instructor. No, their lesson wasn't perfect, but it shouldn't be. We are here to learn and build ourselves up. On the contrary, I feel all get is negative energy and put down so far in this course. I even considered dropping out of the program after the first week of this semester. In addition, I don't feel like it's fare to judge people that don't have a full grasp of the subject area. I have taking many Science classes for many years. The biggest mistakes group 1 made was in relation to the information. They didn't not fully understand the topic therefore, some of their information wasn't clear and accurate. Especially in the subject of Science, terms and proper use of those terms are extremely important. I distinctly remember a slide speaking about solutions and the combination and solutions. Matter is EVERYTHING. Solutions are only one very specific thing. In addition, I strongly believe that it is OK to not know everything as long as you admit it. A student made a comment about compounds. The students teachers response was "good observation". Unfortunately that student's comment was an incorrect statement. Now the child thinks he was correct which is detrimental to his learning. If I do not know that answer to a question, my response is "that's a great question, after class we will have to look it up". It's better a child receives the correct answer than a false or incorrect one. Also, since they had four stations, I wish each station was based on a different type of matter. They were all about liquids. Lastly, I didn't understand why their was a density station when density was not spoken about. Overall, it was a good lesson, it was just confusing at many times, straight answers weren't given ever, and false statements were made at times. Practice makes perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment