Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What's poppin'? Bubble Gum Challenge

Today I researched and planned out my Bishop Dunn Science fair project; "What's Poppin'? Bubble Gum Challenge". For my project I will complete an experiment in hopes to find out which gum allows us to blow the biggest bubble. I will be experimenting with 5 different brands of gum. The brands I will be using are Trident, Juicy Fruit, 5 gum, Dubble Bubble, and Extra. My experimental group will consist of participants aged 5 years old-10 years old. The participants will help me test the different brands of gum by blowing three bubbles for each brand of gum. The brand they are chewing will be unknown to avoid any basis. The children are extremely excited to take part in this fun experiment. I hope everyone enjoys this project as much as they do.

"What's Poppin'?" Bubble Gum Challenge:

Problem:



Which gum blows the biggest bubble (Trident, Juicy Fruit, 5, Dubble Bubble, or Extra)?



Hypothesis:



I think Dubble Bubble will blow the biggest bubble.



I think this because after doing research, Dubble Bubble was created for a fun bubble blowing experience. The “non-sticky” formula was made to allow kids to blow bubbles with ease.

The other gum bands were created for different reasons. Trident was created in effort to reduce the link between gum chewing and tooth decay. Trident uses three enzymes in their formula to promote dental health. Juicy Fruit gum is known for it's one of a kind flavor. It was also created for a fun bubble blowing experience. In my opinion, Juicy fruit will be one of the top contenders in this experiment. 5 gum was created to appeal to our senses. It was designed to be eye-catching, stimulate our taste buds, have a captivating smell, and a soft, chewy texture that will be craved. The brand Extra, was created with the purpose of developing a long lasting flavor experience.



Materials: 
-One pack of Trident gum

-One pack of Juicy Fruit gum

-One pack of 5 gum

-One pack of Dubble Bubble gum

-One pack of Extra gum

-A ruler (in inches)

-A camera (for photos and videos)

-A group of participants (testing group)

-Paper and pen to record data
-A timer 



Procedure:



1. I will first remove the individual pieces of gum from their wrappers. This way the participants are not basis during testing. The participants will not be aware of the brand of gum they are chewing and blowing bubbles with. The participants will all be in the same room. This will allow for the same environment. Therefor factors, such as room temperature, and possible distractions, will be the same for each participate and each brand of gum.


2. I will give the participant 1 minute to chew the selected brand of gum before they begin to blow a bubble. If each brand of gum is chewed for the same amount of time, there is a higher chance of the brands solely being judged on the potential bubble size and not other components, such as length of time chewing. The amount of time gum is chewed can impact the size of the bubble blown, as well as other factors. For example, the bubble blowing skill level of the participant, the amount of gum being used by the participant, and the temperature of the gum. Most of these factors can be controlled in a science experiment. The factors that can not be controlled will be discussed in the experimental error part of my conclusion. It is possible that these factors can skew my data a little.
 

3. Following the one minute, I will have the participant blow a bubble to the best of their ability. As they are blowing the bubble, a ruler will be held up to their mouth. Once the bubble reaches it's maximum size, the length will be recorded. In addition, I will video tape the act in case of any misjudgment in the length. The participant will blow 3 bubbles per gum brand and the average will be used in the final data processes. The same participants will be used throughout the entire experiment.


4. The length of the bubble will be recorded for each of the three bubbles, per participant, for each brand.


5. The average length of the bubble per brand will be calculated. In order to find this number, I will fist add up the 3 bubble blows for one participant and divide by 3. This will give me a single participants average bubble size for that particular brand. I will complete this process for each brand.  After completing this act for each individual participant, I will then add up all the participants averages for each brand, divide by the number of participants, and be left with the overall average bubble size for that particular brand of gum.


6. Lastly, I will review my findings and determine which brand of gum (Trident, Juicy Fruit, 5, Dubble Bubble, or Extra) blows the biggest bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment